Monday, July 2, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey



I'm going to be honest and admit I started this book as a hate-read. I assumed, because of the hype, the book probably wasn't very good... or at least not as good as everyone was saying. But, because I write in the romance genre, I felt I should at least read the book given its effect on readership.

Color me surprised. The only thing I found I didn't like about Fifty Shades was the present tense. I dislike reading anything written in present tense, but that's just style preference on my side.

The author did a wonderful job of making me both hate and love the characters. I wanted to punch Christian in the face, then turn around and hug him. I wanted to scream at the heroine, "Your thoughts and actions are the foundation for every Lifetime Movie ever made! RUN!"

I wanted to warn Ana away from Christian. I wanted her to help him. I wanted him to get his head fucking straight.

I thought Christian was the most fucked-up, mean character in the world.
I thought Christian was the sweetest, most loving character in the world.

Ana, in turn, was weak and strong.

What can I say? I wanted to hate this book, but I ended up liking it enough to utilize my insomnia to finish reading it in one day. Fifty Shades of Grey, you're Fifty Shades of Awesome.