Monday, August 6, 2012

Author Spotlight : Aaron Dennis

I'd like to Welcome Science Fiction author Aaron Dennis to my blog. He's been kind enough to offer us an honest and humorous bio along with info and an excerpt from his new book, LOKIANS. 


Author Bio, by Aaron Dennis
           
            I attempted writing fiction once, about 10 years ago. At that time the internets, yeah I said internets, wasn’t as prevalent as today. I ran into a wall after being unable to research what I was writing about. I gave up.
            Years later, in college, I wrote various term papers, exposes, etc. I hadn’t ever considered writing as a career path until the beginning of 2011. I had some weird dream where in I was lucid enough to view it from two perspectives; myself and a character. The dream was disturbing enough to compel me to attempt jotting it down. So I did.
            The completion of one piece, even though very short, jump-started something within. Since then I’ve plugged away practically everyday. I’m 29, I’m broke, and I choose to work only part time so I can spend all my time writing. (Hey! Something Aaron and I have in common. I, too, am 29, broke, and a slave to writing. Nice to know I'm not alone! -S.J. Drum)
            Science fiction became a passion but any story I can generate is fun to write. Currently I have Lokians: Book1 Beyond the End of the World at www.eternalpress.biz as well as Shadowman at www.damnationbooks.com. Then there are a couple of shorts up on www.smashwords.com. I’m trying to start a new sci-fi movement with my Lokians series so I also threw up a wikia page, www.sciencefictionwriters.wikia.com where anyone interested in sci-fi can check me, and others, out or contribute their own stuff. (Awesome idea, Aaron!)
            Currently I’m refining two books at once, Lokians: Book2 They Lurk Among Us and An Enchanting Tale. The latter is a fantasy story and going up piece by piece at www.fanfiction.net based on The Elderscrolls game series. Lastly I can be found on twitter @authaarondennis and have a FB author page at https://www.facebook.com/Lokians





LOKIANS by Aaron Dennis, Book Blurb


            A menacing threat appears from the far reaches of space. Humans, only recently able to colonize outside the Sol system, discover ancient alien beacons on planet Eon. Earth Navy and her special operations team led by Captain Riley O’Hara form an alliance with the Thewls, a benevolent people from the Spider nebula. Together they go in search for the elusive travelers.
            As the impending threat approaches, two strange Humans join the Thewls and Captain O’Hara’s team. Agent Adams and Agent Franklin claim they are from The Bureau, a privatized organization that deals with any subject extraterrestrial. Together they heed the words of the Thewlian Ambassador, Weh. He tells them of Lokians, a radical race of insects hybridized with the technologies of the peoples they previously eradicated.
            Many centuries ago the Lokians came and attacked the benevolent Thewls. After one defeat by Thewlian hands, they came again. They were stronger, faster, deadlier. Thewls and Lokians fought for weeks. Suddenly dancing lights appeared in the sky. The travelers had come to turn the tides. Seeking help once more and convinced the Lokian threat will target Humans, Ambassador Weh advises Captain O’Hara to help find the travelers.
            After a harsh battle in space and the frozen outskirts of planet Sahagun, Captain O’Hara and crew find only one traveler. He helps the allied forces secure an ancient traveler vessel. With the new ship the Human crew can travel into subspace and battle the evil Lokian queen. Will weapons be enough? Can the Captain, his men, and the two Agents defeat a force as powerful as the Lokians? Find out in Lokians: Book One Beyond the End of the World, the first installment of the new science fiction series.

LOKIANS by Aaron Dennis, Book Excerpt


“Break away!” The Admiral’s voice came in the pilots’ earpieces again.
“What now?!” Sara yelled.
“Stay calm and listen to him.” The younger voice said.
“O.K.” Sara said quietly as she and the Thewl fighters scrambled to brake off.
The enemy fighters followed the transporters. They massed about the Thewl Carrier creating a full dome around the massive ship. In response the Admiral gave orders to fire the arc laser. The Thewl fighters eased away to avoid friendly fire. The white beam spiraled cutting through the Lokians like a hot laser knife through bug butter. Determined and single minded, the Lokians held firm. They kept firing at the Carrier. The field generators started overloading under the pressure of attack. While the field itself did not take damage the generating components were frying from angry red beams. A few patches were shutting off and the vessel started taking surface damage.
The bridge was alive with buzzing sounds and flashing lights.
“Admiral! We’re taking damage.” A Thewl screamed.
Admiral Yew took the broad speaker, “All hands ordered to the center-most decks aboard the ship. We’re taking some fire but we’re giving back double!”
The external decks were designed to operate with lockouts. This not only conserved power but saved lives. Outside those lockout systems the arc laser continued to shred through the enemy as the friendly fighters kept their distance.
“Absolutely brilliant” Sara said amazed.
After a moment the arc laser powered down.
“Engage men!” The coordinator ordered.
Sara nodded to herself. She moved in as she fired. Below her, on the cannon deck, a Thewl let loose his own blasts when he found the opportunity to hit an enemy transporter. Still the battle raged on as the Thewl fighters concentrated their fire on the small Lokians killing three, four, and sometimes five at a time. Rapidly the enemy dwindled in numbers and power. Suddenly they disbanded. They were hurling themselves towards the planet.
“They’re fleeing? No. They’re engaging the ground crew!” Sara yelled.
“Stay calm, Human.” The coordinator replied.